Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mark Knopfler & Sonny Landreth - Just Because...

In the whole round world, it's one of Jb's favorite performances. Said those very "hurricane" prayers as a little boy more than once.

Long before Katrina, "Betsy" in '65 was a bad one for us. I was a little snapper then but I remember when word went out at first light that Aunt Lily's house was damaged by the neighbor's big tree, it was all men on deck. Men (some I recognized, some I didn't) from miles around came in to lend a hand. More men than necessary but not one left. I pleaded with my Mom to let me bring water to the workers. Surely they would soon be thirsty. I just had to join in and help even if certain siblings mistakenly thought I just wanted to slosh in the water still in the yard.

Thick ropes criss-crossed that once majestic old tree as multiple chain saws screamed. Once cleared, the ladders went up and the carpenters took over, then the roofers... Not a wasted motion, it was over before I knew it. I waved as the last truck left. One worker sitting on top of what was left of the tree in the trailer waved back. Believe that it was my older cousin, Paul. You know, Aunt Georgette's boy. He could have blown me off but he didn't. He waved back.

My father who had volunteered to stay the night at his place of employment finally got word back through that his crew had finished their work and was headed over. No need. The neighbor (who wasn't from our town) came over to express her many thanks but whispered to my Mom who was washing the dirt off my face that she did not know how she was going to pay for the damages and for the workers. Relax, for the storm had passed, have some more coffee. No need whatsoever.

Here's to another time and another place.


No comments:

Post a Comment